Thursday 23 July 2015

Film Review: Antman (2015).

Hi, everyone. I have a film review for you today! I went to see Ant-man last night and I have to say it really blew me away with how brilliant it was. I'll have to be honest, even though I'm a big fan of anything Marvel, I wasn't that impressed or too bothered about seeing this at all. A lot of people claimed it wouldn't be good at all but I do believe they said that about Guardians of the Galaxy and look how that turned out. One of the, if not THE, biggest film of 2014. 

So here's my review for Ant-man:

The Background
Dr Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) is forced out of his own company by his former protégé Darren Cross (Corey Stoll) and in desperation, he seeks the help of Scott Lang (Paul Rudd). Scott Lang is a master thief just released from prison and is trying to fight to see his daughter. He becomes Ant-Man after stumbling across the suit and gets trained up by Pym and his daughter, Hope (Evangeline Lilly) to get acquainted with the suit that allows him to shrink to the size of an insect, possess superhuman strength and control armies of ants. He needs to use these skills to prevent Cross from perfecting the same technology for another suit and using it as a weapon for evil.

My Thoughts
Now, I'll have to admit. The concept of Ant-man sounds ridiculous when you talk about it out loud but on screen it actually works! Of course there are some criticisms which we will get to later but let me get through the positives first. 

Ant-man was just.. enjoyable! The plot-line/science of the suits made sense all the way through and the CGI was absolutely fantastic. When Lang became Ant-man, it was truly thrilling. This was something new and never-seen-before. The action scenes weren't too long and didn't overpower the film's storyline or any characters and their developments. Marvel did a really good job in tying Ant-man into the Avengers for future films as well and there were a few great little cameos from some well-known superheros as well which you should look out for. ALSO there are two mid and post-credits scenes which are definitely worth sticking around for. 

Personally, I thought Paul Rudd was fantastic as Scott Lang. Sure, it was the same usual 'average white guy is the chosen for some reason and just happens to be down on his luck as well' but he was a great choice. I've always liked Rudd especially in Friends, This Is 40 and I Love You, Man. He is a naturally funny person and his type of comedy is what I like. He plays Lang very well and blends humour and drama perfectly in Ant-man. And might I add, that man has not aged a day and is looking fiiiiine.


But now we come to some criticism. Although I liked Evangeline's character, I felt like Hope was casually pushed out of being able to do the mission and became a B-list side character. As explained in the film, she is trained in martial arts and knows Darren Cross inside out but for some reason Scott Lang is more capable than her. Plus, she is reduced to becoming a love interest for Lang; the same, usual, BORING story for a woman. The chemistry between Rudd and Lilly just wasn't there and fell a bit flat for me. 

It annoyed me a bit more here as well because she was clearly a strong independent woman who could take on the bad guys just as easily as Lang could. Thankfully however, one of the end credits scenes show she's going to become something bigger and more important so Marvel kind of covered themselves in that regard.

So apart from that, it's an entertaining and visually stunning film that is suitable for anyone. It's a great laugh and easily proves everyone wrong who said it'd be really awful. It isn't as charming as Guardians of the Galaxy and I don't think it'll be as big but it is a brilliant film to add to your Marvel collection.

Here's the trailer

Have you seen it? What did you think?
Thankyou for reading.
Laura.

16 comments:

  1. I watched this movie only several days ago and enjoyed it just as much! I really did not expect it to be this successful because like you said, the context just doesn't really sell, but it turned out to be a great movie! It didn't top the other blockbuster Marvel movies obviously, but it was worth the money.

    And I agree SO much about what you said about Hope. However, I don't know if it was the actress that played it or something, but she just didn't fascinate me at all. I did feel like her role deserved a lot more than just being pushed aside.

    Great review! Xx

    THOUGHTS IN TIFFANY BLUE: A Fashion and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for your thoughtful comment, Joanne! I'm glad you enjoyed the movie and thought the same about Hope. I don't actually mind the actress, she's an okay one but in this one I just didn't really appreciate how she was treated. Thanks again! x

      Delete
  2. i love paul rudd. since clueless 20 years ago!! i think i will see this, based on your review. i can't stand when women's roles in movies are like that. they filmed some of it in Atl and i've yet to run into Paul. we're on a first name basis. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked my review, hope you enjoy the film if you see this. I'd love to run into Paul Rudd! x

      Delete
  3. I love Paul Rudd but I'm not overly inclined to go see/not see Ant man either! X
    eleanor's adventures // UK Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of Paul Rudd but Antman didn't really capture my interest based from the previews. Now that I've read your review, I might go ahead and watch it if it's still showing :)

    http://www.thestylishbipolar.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that is great news! Hope you enjoy it if you do x

      Delete
  5. I was going to watch it yesterday, looks great!


    Kisses,
    www.taislany.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it if you ever get to see it x

      Delete
  6. WOW!! Amazing review!
    Kisses...
    http://fetish-tokyo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a movie that I'll enjoy. Thank you for the review. :)
    -Rupsha | Blog-Lovesicklilac | Twitter-b_rupsha

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely post! It's so amazing:)

    www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for your comments. They are appreciated so much, I am very grateful and I will reply to every single one whenever I can. x