Wednesday 25 May 2016

Film Review: X-Men: Apocalypse (2016).

Hey, everyone. I'm back!
I decided to take a break these past couple of weeks because I was SO busy with my end of year uni assignments and I handed my last one EVER on Monday. So I'm done with uni forever now so I can get back to regular blogging. I have missed it! Let's go!

So, I finally saw X-Men: Apocalypse last night with my brother and it was pretty good. I'll tell you what it's about and what my full thoughts were on it.

The Background
The first and most powerful mutant, Apocalypse (Oscar Isaac) has been worshipped as a god since the beginning of humanity. After being awakened after thousands of years, disillusioned, he recruits a broken-hearted Magneto (Michael Fassbender), Psylocke (Olivia Munn), Storm (Alexandra Shipp) and Angel as his four horsemen. He and his gang of mutants are ready to create a new world and they want to destroy the current one which brings Professor X (James McAvoy) and Raven/Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) together to lead a team of young, teenage X-Men to stop their seemingly immortal nemesis from destroying the world. 

My Thoughts
Overall, I thought the film was pretty good and the special effects were spectacular as usual. However, the storyline was fairly standard and nothing new at all. It's the same-old thing of a guy trying to take over the world and it somehow involves Magneto as always. The storyline lacked a little bit of punch or originality and I felt like it was hastily and messily put together to be able to climax for the final fight. Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse was incredibly intimidating and he scared me a few times actually! His powers were epic and he was definitely someone to be wary of. 

Character-wise it was really great to see some new characters and some familiar ones but in their teenage years. The four horsemen were pretty cool but I felt like Angel did not have enough fight scenes and wasn't used to his full potential. Kodi Smith-McPhee was brilliant as Nightcrawler as was Tye Sheridan (Cyclops/Scott), Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique/Raven) and James McAvoy (Professor X). 

Michael Fassbender as Magneto was heartbreakingly good. His acting skills always blow me away and you actually feel some sympathy for his character in this film (I won't give anything away!). But Sophie Turner as teenage Jean Grey and Evan Peters as Quicksilver stole the show for me. To the delight of fans, there is a another slow motion scene where Quicksilver is involved. I won't spoil anything but it was really funny and so, so cool! His one-liners and humour are nice touches to the film. Sophie Turner did really well as Jean Grey, especially in the final fight which was just awesome. To bring Jean Grey and her inner demons to life is probably hard to do but Turner did a brilliant job and I loved her in the final scenes.

There was a certain cameo too by a beloved X-Men character which was fabulous to watch, I won't spoil it unless you've seen the trailer and you know exactly who I'm talking about. The film itself was actually a bit more graphic and bloody than the previous X-Men films! There was times where I genuinely winced and squirmed at some of the scenes. But I pretty much liked it overall, X-Men films are something I'm always going to go and see I think.

The ending and after-credits scene led me to believe that we haven't seen the last of the X-Men clan yet. But I'm hoping they will do better storyline-wise but I know I can't get enough of mutants and their powers so I'll be sure to see more future X-Men films!

Check out the trailer:

Have you seen it? What did you think of it?
Thankyou for reading.
Laura. 

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being done with school. What a great accomplishment! I nearly cried from exhaustion when I turned in my last paper, haha! I've never seen this movie before, but it seems like it would be interesting to watch and something my stepson would enjoy. Thanks for the review!

    http://www.thebeautybeau.com/how-to-wear-a-mini-dress-to-work/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Candace! I just napped, I was so tired! It definitely took alot out of me. Celebrations are coming soon though! Hopefully your stepson will enjoy it. Thankyou for your lovely comment x

      Delete
  2. I love your review on this! I must see this now :) http://www.bauchlefashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I totally forgot this was out!! (Not reading the whole post yet but thank you for reminding me to go watch it!) This is one of my fave franchises ever, ever since I was a kid and read the comics. Thank you!

    michenn

    michenn OOTD Black and White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you're welcome! Hope you enjoy it if you do get a chance to see it :) x

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to see it -Hanna Lei

    Latest Post: Casual (but Cute!) Kimono Outfit Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the way that it finally connected the original trilogy with the recent movies, and I REALLY enjoyed that dig Jean Grey said about how the third movie is always the worst. But it was really great getting to see the cerebro as it was in X2, and the same hideout for Striker. Kurt's make-up/prosthetic were the same, too. Those are only a couple of the tie ins Singer brought back. It was the first movie with the new actors that really had a feel for the original trilogy-the last one with great, where it brought in the old actors, and I felt it was good, but I didn't feel as much of a tie-in, this one really felt like it could come before the trilogy. I hope they keep it up!

    Xoxo
    Serein
    https://sereinwu.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah I enjoyed that cheeky dig too! I was loving all the connections too, they've done it pretty well actually. I just felt like the storyline was the same old and lacked a bit of punch to make it different but I don't think you can ever get a completely unique storyline with mutants and that. But thankyou for your fabulous comment, Serein! x

      Delete
  6. An amazing Superheroes are in this movie. Interesting part of this movie many new superheroes that attract me. I remember when I watch Watch X-Men Apocalypse Online in my cousin house. He surprised to watch all of the action superheroes in the one movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Overall, I thought the film was pretty good and the special effects were spectacular as usual. However, the storyline was fairly standard and nothing new at all. It's the same-old thing of a guy trying to take over the world and it somehow involves Magneto as always. lawn cotton suits , pakistani lawn suits for sale , pakistani lawn suits online shopping , lawn suits online , pakistani lawn suits price , pakistani lawn dress , pakistani cotton suits , designer lawn suits online , pakistani lawn suits wholesale , lawn suits sale The storyline lacked a little bit of punch or originality and I felt like it was hastily and messily put together to be able to climax for the final fight. Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse was incredibly intimidating and he scared me a few times actually! His powers were epic and he was definitely someone to be wary of.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for your comments. They are appreciated so much, I am very grateful and I will reply to every single one whenever I can. x